Missing a few teeth? Missing a lot of teeth? Dentures can provide a full set of replacement teeth.
Advances in dentistry make it possible to wear a denture that has a secure hold while reducing or eliminating irritation to the gums. Our general dentists at Lakewood Dental Centre in Winnipeg, MB can provide implant-secured dentures, which provide more stability and security than traditional denture.
To meet with Dr. Dhillon or Dr. McDermid and discuss your tooth replacement options, call us at (204) 977-8515.
Implant-Supported Dentures Offer Added Security
Implant-supported dentures are molded to look like natural teeth and gums. Instead of resting on your gums like conventional denture and staying put with denture adhesives, they’re supported by a sturdy bar attached to dental implants.
This can offer many advantages over traditional denture. Among them:
- A firm hold. The dentures are less prone to slipping and sliding in your mouth.
- Less gum irritation. Because the dentures don’t sit directly atop your gums, many people find them more comfortable to wear.
- Easy to clean. The bar attachment makes it easy to take the denture in and out for cleaning and before you go to sleep for the night.
- Better and longer-lasting fit. Dental implants stimulate your jawbone much like your own tooth roots. This helps keep your bone strong and less prone to shrinkage. Because of this, your denture should maintain a snug fit.
The Dentures Process
If you’re interested in the implant-supported denture, you’ll first need to schedule a consultation with one of our dentists. We’ll conduct a full exam to discuss the health of your gums and jawbone to make sure they’re able to support dental implants. If you have any remaining teeth that must be removed before you can wear a denture, we can schedule an appointment for tooth extraction.
If you are a good candidate for implant-supported dentures, you’ll want to maintain good oral hygiene after receiving them by:
- Cleaning your denture using a soft toothbrush and denture-specific cleanser
- Using a soft toothbrush to gently brush your gums and the inside of your mouth twice a day
- Continuing to see us twice a year for dental cleanings and exams
Both Dr. Doug McDermid and Dr. Rose Dhillon is a graduate of University of Manitoba Faculty of Dentistry, and they are one of the top-notch and trusted dentists in Winnipeg, MB.