If an infection is causing your toothache, you could be in need of a root canal procedure. Lakewood Dental Centre in Winnipeg, MB suggests making an appointment with your dentist if you’re experiencing:
- Tooth sensitivity to hot or cold foods
- Pain when you chew
- Swelling around a tooth
- Head or ears aching in addition to symptoms above
You can reach us by phone at (204) 977-8515.
Root Canal Treatments
To avoid a tooth extraction, your dentist might be able to save your tooth with a root canal treatment.Cherie A. on her root canal being pain free
The inside of your tooth is filled with pulp. Tooth decay and bacteria can move past the surface of your tooth into the pulp and cause infection. This infection can travel all the way down to your tooth’s roots! This can be very painful for you. If left untreated for a long time, it’s possible to lose the tooth.
Dr. Dhillon or Dr. McDermid can clean out the inside of your tooth, removing the pulp and the infection. Then they will fill your tooth to help prevent it from becoming infected again. The last step is to strengthen your tooth by covering it with a dental crown.
Avoiding Root Canals
There are preventive measures you can take to reduce your risk of needing root canal treatment:
- Twice-a-year teeth cleanings and dental exams can help keep harmful bacteria at bay and allow your dentist to stay ahead of any dental health problems.
- Repair damaged teeth with fillings or dental crowns before the infection can spread deep into your tooth.
- Brushing your teeth twice a day and flossing once a day can help you maintain good oral hygiene.