Nonsurgical Gum Disease Treatment
Gum disease is an infection that can cause bleeding and, without treatment, can lead to tooth loss. With good care, gum disease can be prevented. However, if you already have gum disease or are developing gum disease, it can be treated. Call Lakewood Dental Centre of Winnipeg, MB at (204) 977-8515 to schedule your consultation.
General dentists Dr. Rose K. Dillon and Dr. Doug McDermid can provide effective gum disease treatment to help protect your gums, the bone beneath them, and your overall oral health.
Treating Gum Disease
We offer three nonsurgical gum disease treatments at Lakewood Dental Centre in Winnipeg, MB.Gerry K. on the quality of care at Lakewood Dental Centre
- Scaling and Root Planing is a process in which your dental hygienist will clear out the pockets of infection beneath your gums and around the roots of your teeth. They’ll also leave your roots nice and smooth to discourage bacteria growth and promote gum reattachment.
- Perio Protect uses trays to deliver bacteria-fighting medication beneath your gums to places you can’t reach with your toothbrush or floss. Dr. Dhillon or our other general dentist, Dr. McDermid, will tailor a treatment plan to your needs.
Gum Disease Explained
Bacteria moves into the pockets of space created and can damage the roots of your teeth and even the underlying bone. If left untreated, this damage can cause your teeth to become loose and, eventually, fall out. Look at this additional information from the Canadian Dental Association.
It’s common for gum disease to go undetected. If you have any of these symptoms, you should consult with your dentist:
- Gums that are sore, swelling, bleeding, or tender
- Gums that have changed colours
- Teeth that are sensitive for no apparent reason
- Chronic bad breath