Nonsurgical Gum Disease Treatment
Gum disease is an infection that can cause bleeding and, without treatment, can lead to tooth loss. With good care, gum disease can be prevented. If you already have gum disease or are developing gum disease, it can be treated.
General dentist Dr. Rose K. Dhillon can provide effective gum disease treatment to help protect your gums, the bone beneath them, and your overall oral health.
Call Lakewood Dental Centre of Winnipeg, MB at (204) 977-8515 to schedule your consultation.
We Offer 2 Treatments for Gum Disease
We offer two nonsurgical gum disease treatments at Lakewood Dental Centre.
- Perio Protect® uses trays to deliver bacteria-fighting medication beneath your gums to places you can’t reach with your toothbrush or floss. Dr. Dhillon or our other general dentist, Dr. McDermid, will tailor a treatment plan to your needs.
- Scaling and Root Planing is a process in which your dentist will clear out the pockets of infection beneath your gums and around the roots of your teeth. They’ll also leave your roots nice and smooth to discourage bacteria growth and promote gum reattachment.
Gum Disease Explained
Gum disease occurs when bacteria festers beneath the gumline and causes your gums to pull away from the roots of your teeth. Bacteria moves into the pockets of space created and can damage the roots of your teeth and even the underlying bone. If left untreated, this damage can cause your teeth to become loose and, eventually, fall out.
It’s common for gum disease to go undetected. If you have any of these symptoms, consult with your dentist:
- Gums that are sore, swelling, bleeding, or tender
- Gums that have changed colours
- Teeth that are sensitive for no apparent reason
- Chronic bad breath